How to Get Your Paper Under Control
Read How to Get Buried in Paper first.
- Do each task to the best of your ability.
- Open your mail in the same place each day.
- Sort your papers as you look through them.
- Toss out everything you don’t want or need.
- Have a good paper management system and put your papers away where they belong.
- Make sure the categories you have are relevant.
- Set time aside to adequately do your paperwork.
- Have a good-size, sturdy trash container where you sort your papers.
- Have 2-3 inches of extra space in each file
- Have a file cabinet with full-suspension drawers.
- Print your labels with a marker and do them all the same way.
- Before guests come over, bake a cake.
- Enjoy the fruits of your labor. Find any paper quickly and easily.
- Be kind to others who still haven’t learned to manage their paper.
- See paper clutter as a sign for you to get busy and do what you have to do.
The practice of the above behavior is guaranteed to:
- Help you locate a paper when you need it
- Meet the needs of others who need information
- Eliminate anxiety about finding a paper
- Let you move on to doing other things
- Allow you to get rid of silly signs